Monday, September 5, 2011

Communication

It occurred to me yesterday, while watching the Saints lack of communication on the field - that baseball players do not get paid to communicate.  This is hard for me to understand because I get paid entirely to communicate. 

As the season is coming to a close - there are a lot of mixed emotions for everyone involved: players, families, girlfriends & wives.  Some are burnt out - while others would  like to continue on for months.  I think the hardest aspect of this is being conscientious of other people's feelings - no matter how you are feeling.  I have had my fair share of temper tantrums the last few weeks - but when it comes down to it, I know these next few games are the most important in J's career thus far.  So, I can't help but be excited to go to a few more games and cheer him on!

There is another side to this that makes things difficult as well.  Some of the players have built new relationships over the summer - you know; like one of my all time favorite movies "Summer Catch."  Believe it or not - in the world of minor league baseball - not all players have the story book ending that Freddie Prince Jr. had when he got called up to the MLB.  Most players move back home and go on with their lives - picking up off season jobs and waiting to see what their baseball future holds for the following spring.  This causes another communication disaster.   I am watching some of my friends struggle to know what type of future their new relationship holds -
is it worth holding on to? 

I wish I could hold a communication seminar for the team.  I could teach them how to communicate on the field & off the field.  You know - Please call for the ball if you are in the best position to catch it; oh and more importantly, please tell your significant other how you are feeling about them before you pick up and move away.  - The guys could learn so much! Ha!

Luckily for me - the off season is right around the corner.  This means that J and I will finally be able to communicate on a regular basis!  Believe it or not, this will cause for some transition as well- considering we are used to talking 10 minutes a day.  I will admit that as independent as I am - I'm excited to have J around again. 

Best of luck to the Saints today as they finish off the first round of playoffs and hopefully move forward to the championship round! 

No comments:

Post a Comment